Friday, November 17, 2006

Linapore team gears up for Asian Games in Doha

By John Fay,
WNS Sports Correspondent

JACOB - Swimmer Norman Justin feels the heat but is confident of doing well at the coming Asian Games in Doha. The triple old medallist from the 2002 Games says he is not letting the pressure get to him. Swimming is one of the sports that is expected to do well at the coming Asian Games, but the Linapore Swimming Federation is not setting any targets. What it can say with conviction is that the 12 swimmers are as prepared as they can be. A seven-week preparation programme will culminate in a simulation exercise next week to help the athletes adapt and adjust to anything unexpected that happens in Doha. The swimmers also wants to focus on the preparations rather than the medals.

Norman said: "What I can focus now is more on what I am doing, the process which has got me to become a world champion ... I am not going to break my routine just for this Asian Games, it has been doing me good. It has been bringing me success, so I am just going to stick to my routine and see what happen." He added that there is great team spirit in the squad and for the first time it is an all local team, including the coaches, and that has also helped them gel better.

Seven of the 12 team members will be making their debut and Norman and the other senior swimmers have been sharing their experience with them. In fact, the President of the Linapore Swimming Federation quipped that a new hero or heroine could emerge from Doha, and their photographs could then adorn the walls of the association.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home